Thursday, October 4, 2007

Deep thoughts, I imagine


The sprightly young squirrel paused, sitting upright and still by the curb as he flicked his bushy tail. "Hmmm," he pondered after awhile. "I thought I heard a possum nearby. ...Must've been my imagination." He resumed his task of hunting broken pecans. "If there had been a possum," he wondered, amusing himself as he worked, "what would he be doing in this neighborhood? Visiting possum cousins? Taking a stroll? Hiding out in a garage in order to scare some poor, unsuspecting human?"

He stopped to sample a meaty piece of pecan then scurried on his way.
###

I'm feeling very weird and quirky writing this post, so hang on! Whaddya think of my little squirrel story? I spent hours working on it. (And if you'll buy that...) But what if it really happened? What if the squirrel used his imagination?

To put it bluntly, I don't think so. But it was fun imagining the story.

I've been thinking this week about the miracle of imagination. Have you ever wondered about that? I believe we're the only creation that God endowed with imagination. For example, somehow I doubt that javelinas sit around spinning yarns.

And don't you think that is part of how we're created in His image? He has the ultimate imagination--He created the universe, for goodness' sake--and imagination is part of His amazing fingerprint on each of us, I believe.

I like to think that He loves it when we use our wonderings as He intended. We had such great imaginations as kids, didn't we? Too bad our time now is often too crowded with errands, e-mail, and other day-fillers to see the invisible.

I'll try to remind myself of that the next time I see a twitchy-tailed squirrel on my curb.

4 comments:

Travis said...

Again, I must insist that you develop yer story telling skills. Even the whimiscal squirel story reveals hidden talent. Keep it up!

I hate to disagree with you, but I'm absolutely certain that storm clouds have an imagination. How else could they consistently build up and then split going completely AROUND my yard and garden before raining? Eh? Answer me this, Squirel Scriber.

Christi said...

I also have to disagree, but on a different point. We have TONS of squirrels in our yard and I have spent many hours (when I should have been doing housework) watching them play. I don't think that they could play without an imagination and so many times, they are playing by themselves...

Love the thought provoking post. You are so good at these. I agree with Travis...you have talent my dear!
smiles...

Alison Bryant said...

You know what? Come to think of it, I may have to disagree with myself, too!...
Even as I speak, our cat Smokey is playing erratically, darting around and sounding weird, yelp-y meows. When he does this (which is often), David says that he's playing with his invisible demon friends, thus his nickname "Bub," short for "Beelzebub." I'd rather believe that he's using imagination. =)
When it comes to the clouds, I'm more of a conspiracy theorist. Why else would that always happen over our town? Aaargh!
Since I'm feeling chatty this a.m., I'll tell you too that this was the first time I've voted in my own poll. One superpower I'd like is Wonder Woman's. I'd love the ability to twirl around in a circle really fast and be in a completely different outfit, hairdo and all. That could really come in handy. Yes, David and Daniel, I AM a girl!

Anonymous said...

Great musings about squirrels. Did you inherit your writing abilities? (Just joking.) The resident squirrels here seem to have a mind of their own. I have come to believe that at least one of them realizes that I'm the one who puts out the Critter Crunch and bird seed. Several times in comes to call when I am in the back yard and the feeders are empty. It stops on top of the grill, watching me, possibly thinking "Here I am. How about some food!" These little creatures allow us within about two feet without running off. They are fun to watch.