Thursday, October 18, 2007

Dishwashers and dark chocolate

Do you find that when God wants to teach you something, you're reminded of it almost everywhere you go? No, that never happens to me, either. Actually, this week I've been nudged, encouraged, (hammered!) to look for simple reasons to be joyful and thankful. Things seem so much brighter when we look past temporary circumstances, don't they?

In light of that, here is a short-ish list of some things for which I'm thankful (how do ya like that proper grammar? Impressive, huh?). As I write, in the back of my mind I'm hearing strains of "...these are a few of my favorite things..." You can thank me later for having that stuck in your head, too. Here we go:
  • Fall mornings at Blue House, our local coffee house
  • Friends
  • Friends' laughter
  • Friends' laughter with (at) me =)
  • Curiosity
  • Dishwashers
  • New magazines
  • Snuggling up with a fleece throw to watch a movie
  • Office supply stores
  • Forgiveness from God and others
  • Velvety dog ears
  • Dark chocolate
  • David's patience and sense of humor
  • David's patience with my sense of humor
  • A child's perspective
  • Funny-sounding words

So, what makes you thankful?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things I am thankful for . . .
*my husband, Mark
*great friends & co-workers
*working outside in the yard
*a beautiful sunny day
*my dad-even though he can drive me crazy
*going to the movies and escaping for a couple of hours
*a cold day with a hot bowl of soup and cornbread

Travis said...

none of those things, Alison. You're a freak!

Travis said...

Actually, I was trying to provoke your sense of humor, which is something I'm grateful for...

Sarah said...

Girls Night Out! I really needed it...and a husband who's willing to babysit!

Christi said...

LOVE this post today, Alison! Can I put office supply stores on my list too? LOL! They just make me happy!
*My Favorite Things--the song...thank you, I LOVE that song! I have a jazz cd with a version of it on there...I think that I need to go turn it on.
*sweet smiles from a little girl
*autumn chill in the air after a long summer
*rainy days
*coffee in the morning
*fresh flowers
*playing scrabble with mom
*creating something new
*reading blogs

smiles...

Alison Bryant said...

Min, I LOVE your homemade soup with a side o' cornbread. Can I bribe you to have it when I'm there in December? I'm counting the days!

Will, I didn't crack a smile at that. Not even a chuckle.
My confirmed freakery is no laughing matter. (Sniff)

Sarah, that was so much fun, despite the sad movie ("But it's really funny!"). =)

Christi, I think one of the greatest inventions ever would be a place that's half office supply store and half The Container Store. I'd go nuts!

Poll update: Wow...so far people reeeallly want to see the Gaithers jam to Bon Jovi. What might be even more interesting would be Bon Jovi gettin' funky with some Gaither tunes.

Anonymous said...

Does the No Whiner Diner count? Do like the place and the attitude.

Alison Bryant said...

No, I'm sorry. No Whiner Diner doesn't count as something to be thankful for.
Just kidding, madre! We love their food (mmm...meatballs...) and the biting satire of their marquee messages, often poking fun at our community. I do think it's funny, though, that at "No Whiner" Diner those messages are often pretty whiny.

Anonymous said...

Oh...I have a lot -
*snuffling doggies
*coffee
*fuzzy heads in the morning
*squeaky pickles
*snuggly kitties
*toys with "off" buttons
*Quotable movies
*Sisters in law ;)
*more coffee
*2 year olds
*8 year olds...most days
*Daniels
*big ottomans
*did I mention coffee?
*Alison's "confirmed freakery" HAHAHAHA (I'm totally stealing that one!)
Ok...that's all for now...I have lots more, but that precious 2 year old is needy today.

Oh, oh! The office supply store/container store is making me all twitchy...we NEED to make that happen! What should we call it? "Binder Clips R Us?" Or maybe..."A Place for Binder Clips", or "Bryants and Snows love to Organize Office Supplies". Ok, maybe that one is a bit long...

...Need. More. Coffee.

Alison Bryant said...

Hmmm...a Bryant/Snow office supply & Container Store...maybe we should call it "Brow's." (pronounced 'Bro's') Wouldn't that be appropriate for sisters-in-law?

Christi said...

Love the Bro's idea...lol! It's perfect, but it would have to include a coffee bar in their somewhere...

Anonymous said...

perfect Yeah, I think your suggestion is much more succinct. LOL And of course a coffee bar is a must. ;)

Alison Bryant said...

Absolutely. Brow's Joe is a must!

Anonymous said...

Will you serve raspberry mocha with whipped cream?