Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Never Forget Them

The continuation of the story from the last post was what I had planned to write about today, not making the connection ahead of time what today actually is. Right now it just seems a little hollow and inappropriate to finish that story in light of today's anniversary; I'll continue it next time. By the way, there's a link to a great web site at left; you may have heard about it this week.

Like almost every American, I'll never forget where I was when I first heard the news. David was driving me to my job at Cargill Associates; we were on Alta Mesa Boulevard in Fort Worth when Jody Dean came on the radio and announced a plane's fate - of course, soon known as the "first plane." Then as the morning unfolded in the office, each horrific event came across the radios, TVs, and computers that we were all glued to.

And I'm wondering about you...where were you that day?

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10


3 comments:

Dave said...

Ummmm....that day I was driving down Alta Mesa taking my wife to work at Cargill Associates. Wait...have you guys heard this already?

I remember driving and hearing about the second plane, and I realized that this was no accident. I couldn't help the tears from flowing because I knew someone was doing this intentionally. Disbelief and horror flooded my being and intensified later that morning as I saw the towers collapse.

Anonymous said...

I remember getting ready for work (running late) and watching whatever network morning show had Bryant Gumble as the host. It was 9 am+/- CST and show was scheduled to end at 9 but they featured the breaking news of the first plane. There was a camera showing the Twin Towers and the damage from the first plane. A lady eyewitness from a nearby building was on the phone with Bryant. As the lady talked about about the first plane collision and the camera was filming that damage, I saw the second plane fly into the other tower. After the first I had a bad feeling that it wasn't an accident. After the second plane hit, I was convinced it was foul play. I called Steve at work then drove into work downtown. The drive was somber and the traffic flow reflected this mood. No one at work could do anything except listen to news reports. We were all sent home. The stress and disbelief while watching the continued coverage caused me to take the longest nap I can ever recall. I can still see the people jumping from the towers. It's difficult to imagine how those people thought jumping was a less painful solution than remaining in the tower to face the extreme heat.

Anonymous said...

I was arriving at the Seattle airport (along w/Dan, Kara & Emily) about the time they were shutting down the airport. Didn't have any idea what was happening -- were told we would have about a 5 hour delay, so we booked a flight for later that day & sent my sister back home. We sat there for about 5 hours, then John came back to the airport, picked us up & we stayed w/them till Saturday. We were on one of the first flights to get out when flying resumed & it was a crazy day at all the airports. We spent the whole week glued to the TV, watching all the reports. Doesn't seem like it has been 6 years. God Bless America!!!