Sunday, August 26, 2007

Taking notice in Cloudcroft

Yesterday David and I took a day trip to Cloudcroft, NM, to see David's parents. They were there for a few days of relaxation. They chose a great place to do just that; many of us know that Cloudcroft is a beautiful mountain village surrounded by towering pines--a perfect escape from the summer heat.

While there they took us to a nearby campground to see something in particular. The day before, a big thunderstorm unleashed on the area, bringing lots of rain and hail. ...And lightning, evidently. We stopped our car nearby what they wanted us to see: In the middle of the campground stood the thick trunk of what used to be a huge pine tree. I say "used to be" because during the storm a lightning bolt whiplashed it, felling the tree and exposing the pale, fleshy lumber inside. A car was also its victim; in that same split second, the same bolt flung an arc to a nearby car and incapacitated it. The aftermath was a pretty impressive sight. Thankfully no one was hurt.

As we drove away it struck me (pun partially intended) how powerful God really is. He is God. His power and glory can be seen all around us, especially in nature. We left that campsite and went about our day. But other things kept catching my notice, from the fragrant wildflower bouquets decorating the edges of the highway, to a photo of a double rainbow my mother-in-law showed me on her camera, to the perfectly round, pea-sized hail cascading outside while visiting The Lodge hotel. Each reminded me of His awesomeness, creativity, and love (yes, somehow the hail even reminded me of His love!). I knew He was there.

Have you noticed that sometimes He wows us with a mighty display of His majesty? Often also it's the smaller, everyday things we see that He uses to invite us to gaze at Him. I'd love to hear from you: When was a time that God used something--maybe in nature, big or small--to remind you of who He is?

6 comments:

Christi said...

gorgeous post, Alison. I can see it all by your descriptions. ...and I am so jealous that you are getting to spend time in Cloudcroft.

I was amazed at God's creation just the other day as I was looking out my kitchen window before the sun even arose and could see a gorgeous pink rose bud peeking at me in the light from my kitchen. Such a small thing rising up out of the dark to start off my day... smiles!

Anonymous said...

So THAT'S where they've been. Hanging out with you in the non hundred degree temperatures.

As corny as it sounds...God sent me a reminder just now. I watched Mia and Emily hug each other. Mia was a "suprise" to our family, we had not intended to have more than one child. God had other plans. My children remind me to my very core how much God loves us and what He does for us every day. Sometimes it's hard to figure out his plan...ok, most times it's hard to figure it out. But I'm learning, bit by bit to just trust in Him, because, obviously, He knows what He's doing.

I'm just loving reading your blog, Ali...your imagery in this one in particular is awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

I just finished watching a movie with our teenagers called "The Climb" which is about two climbers climbing a famous peak in the Andes Mountains. Along the way, God uses the climb to work in these guys lives, and we see some awesome scenery.

Maybe it's because we've been having temps close to 100 for a couple of weeks, but while watching this movie, I was fascinated by all the snow they showed. I was struck by how many ways you see water in the film - liquid, snow, ice, fog, clouds, and ummm, bottled. I think God is so creative, and it struck me tonight that His creativity even shows up in something as boring as water.

One of my favorite daily devotional readings I've read was by John Piper in his "Taste and See" book. In it, Piper talks about Job when he said this in Job 5:8-10 (bold added by me):
But as for me, I would seek God, And I would place my cause before God; Who does great and unsearchable things, Wonders without number. He gives rain on the earth, And sends water on the fields. Job 5:8-10

I honestly wouldn't include rain in that category of "Great and Unsearchable Things God has Done," but Job did. For a look at why, I'd encourage everyone to read the rest of the devo. You can find it here. Great stuff to read that just might change your mind about rain. It did mine.

Anonymous said...

Great read Ali.

The other day I was walking Mia to
the bathroom and was struck by the fact that she has everthing that we all have. 10 fingers, a nose, the ability to comunicate, everything - just in miniature. All she needs is a little time to grow. It was a reminder of what I have been given, what is expected of me and the opportunity to understand that I too can grow so that someday we both might be able to be proud of me - like our Father above is.

Travis said...

Have you ever heard a quail call on a cold frosty morning? Have you ever stood on the shores of the Pacific Ocean and watched whales slap the sea with their tails? Have you ever heard the ominous buzz of a rattle snake coiled in strength? Have you heard the call of an elk, bugling on a crisp October morn? Or listened as a bull frog bellows his song in the night? Perhaps you've heard a loon calling to the morning sun. Maybe you've stood in the shadow of the mighty Niagara Falls, as millions of gallons of water plunge over her majestic top. It only takes a moment to realize the grand cathedral that God has given us, where we can worship in the wide, open spaces. The tops of the trees can be the pipes of the organ, and the birds can sing in His choir. One only has to step foot outdoors to see His Majesty. Have you stopped to consider how the ant diligently stores his wares for the lean, hard winter, or how the grasshopper lives day to day until the cold frost of the autumn takes his life? All of these contribute to our understanding of how wonderful God is....Okay, I'll stop yammering on. This is your blog, Alison, not mine! But thanks for the opportunity. By the way, I’m anxious for you to write a book. I think you are a very gifted writer.

Alison Bryant said...

Goodness, it's not like I asked for responses! =) I love reading the comments. ...And based on what's been said so far, I can't resist throwing in my absolute favorite Rich Mullins song, "The Color Green." I was going to save it for the tenth anniversary of his death next month, but it's perfect for this. Everyone reads a little something different into the symbolism, I think. Here are the words:

And the moon is a sliver of silver
Like a shaving that fell on the floor of a carpenter's shop
And every house must have its builder
And I awoke in the house of God
Where the windows are mornings and evenings
Stretched from the sun
Across the sky north to south
And on my way to early meeting
I heard the rocks crying out

(Chorus)
Be praised for all Your tenderness
by these works of Your hands
Suns that rise and rains that fall to bless and bring to life Your land
Look down upon this winter wheat and be glad that You have made
Blue for the sky and the color green that fills these fields with praise

And the wrens have returned and they're nesting
In the hollow of that oak where his heart once had been
And he lifts up his arms in a blessing for being born again
And the streams are all swollen with winter
Winter unfrozen and free to run away now
And I'm amazed when I remember
Who it was that built this house
And with the rocks I cry out
(Chorus)