Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A trip down literary lane


When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does.
- Meg Ryan as Kathleen Kelly in You've Got Mail

Nursery rhymes. The most recent Poem Off topic got me reminiscing about things I heard and read as a kiddo. I think there 's a lot of truth to the quote above, don't you? Whether you read a little or a lot as a child, it tends to stick with you. With that in mind, come with me on this memory lane jaunt, revisiting some of my early influences--just a small sampling. Maybe it'll jog your memory too.

I've always loved reading. I guess I came by that naturally: both of my parents love to read, and my mom is a retired librarian. When I was very young, most nights my dad would read me a book that he let me pick out. I loved those times. One book in particular got chosen a lot. Horton Hatches the Egg was a Christmas gift from a neighbor. I can still hear the promise Horton repeated time after time: "I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful one hundred percent!" It's a great book. I mean, how can you go wrong with Dr. Seuss? ...And a flying elephant-bird, for goodness' sake?

The Bible also captured my imagination. Sunday school each week was filled with incredible stories! The older I get the more convinced I am that God is the master storyteller. ...A boy killing a giant with a slingshot, a talking donkey, a short, little man who climbs a tree to see Jesus, a city's wall falling after only marching and shouting, a man falling out of a window and dying (and coming back to life!) because he fell asleep, walking on water... who else could make up this stuff? And it's all true! Genius, to understate the obvious.


Poetry. Not everyone associates little kids and classic poetry recitation. Mrs. Ables, my second grade teacher sure did, and it scared the jeepers out of me. We had to choose between two poems, memorize it, and recite it in front of class. Despite being the bold tomboy that I was back then, that thought made me nervous. Mrs. Ables encouraged us by reciting a poem her teacher made her memorize in second grade. My eyes got big. I didn't know that someone "old" like her could remember that far back. (Oh, how perspectives change!) I chose Robert Lewis Stevenson's "The Swing," and even survived reciting it for my class.

How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?

Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing

Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,

Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,

Down on the roof so brown--

Up in the air I go flying again,

Up in the air and down!



Ramona Quimby was another one of my literary buddies. I loved Beverly Cleary's books about this little girl around my age, and by coincidence we even had the same awful haircut. It made me feel a little better about that. I saw a lot of myself in her and her family, and it was plain fun following her escapades.

I've already had a request for a post about literary influences as an adult. That will come later. For now, I'd love to know what stories you remember from your childhood.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Precious memories. I remember reading books like Puff 'N Toot" the little engine that could ("I think I can, I think I can..."). Later, A Child's Geography of the World and A Boy Fighter With Andrew Jackson, gifts from relatives. Later still, I read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn many times.

Thanks for the memories.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Shel Silverstein

Anonymous said...

I remember reading "The Pokey Little Puppy" over and over at the Grandparents' house as a kid. (You with me Dave?)

As an adult, I was excited to read this story to my child...until I read it as an adult. How can you feel bad for a puppy that did not get desert on the last day when he ate it all on the previous two days? The puppies that did the right thing on the last day got one desert that they had to split! The pokey puppy got two all to himself! The moral of the story to me is that he did better overall than the other puppies that changed their "bad" ways.

(OK...children's books rant over)

Alison Bryant said...

Gee, thanks for spoiling the ending, Daniel. Some people! =)

Dave said...

Man, I loved that story as a kid, but I don't remember much about it. I guess even as a kid I had a profound aptitude for right/wrong and successfully blocked out that memory since it taught a bad message.

Man, I am that good, even at the age of four!

Hmmm...or maybe my memory is just that bad. I think it's the memory thing, but I can't remember why I think that.

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Hi Alison!
I had to drop in and say hello when I saw on Terry Burns's blog that you are a New Mexican AND that you are going to Glorieta. Need a roommate? :-) Know anyone who does?

Stop by my blog if you get a chance!
www.inkhornblue.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

We had few children's books at home except for some of the Little Golden Books. I loved The Little Engine That Could, Puff 'N Toot, The Pokey Little Puppy, and Whiskers. The last one was unusual because it was black and white photos of kittens dressed in people clothes. The kittens managed to get into quite a bit of mischief. We went to the public library branch in our part of town, plus using the school libraries a lot. There was another preschool book that I loved, but don't know the name. It was about a red helicopter. This was when helicopters first came on the scene. My mother helped in setting up our church library and I would look at that book a lot while she worked. Unfortunately, the next winter our church and all it contents burned.

Anonymous said...

So right -- precious memories! I still love "kids" books! When I was young, I read The Bobbsey Twins, The Boxcar Kids(?), Donna Parker. But tell me about the picture of Tyrone, OK -- looks like a gorgeous place, not the Tyrone I know!

Anonymous said...

Loved all the Dr. Seuss books, the same Whiskers book our mom mentioned,some book about a puppy for Christmas (that happens to look like one of our dogs!), Aesop's Fables, Mother Goose stories, Babar and Madeline books then a little later, Shel Silverstein, Encylopedia Brown and Trixie Belden books.

Alison Bryant said...

Oh, yes...Encyclopedia Brown! Those were great. ...And Nancy Drew, and the Choose Your Own Adventure books. The medieval knight one (or "kuh-nighgut" if you know what I'm talking about) was fun.

As for the picture of Tyrone, I found that on Flickr.com, where I get 99% of the photos I post. It's amazing what you can find!

Dave said...

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Choose Your Own Adventure books. I loved those and the Encyclopedia Brown books too. I also remember reading I and II Samuel as a kid in church while the sermon was going on. I was fascinated by David on the run from Saul. I enjoyed not paying attention to the sermon. ;)

Anonymous said...

...and now you know how your "flock" feels...

Travis said...

For me, it was the Chippy Chipmunk's Vacation that started me reading. Too bad that was when I turned 17. Once, I read A Waggle of Witches and got in trouble at home for reading a book about witchcraft...
Oh well, what one does as a kid.

Anyway, my grandmother used to sit us in her lap and quote poems to us until we got antsy and had to get up. Great memories.
Thanks,
and sorry for chiming in so late.

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Hi again!

I had some more time today to come browse around your blog. I love your topics! Would you mind if I linked to your blog from mine? I like to collect good blog links from writers.

Blog browsing is a good mental break from thinking about my villain. It has to be done, but I'd much rather think about the hero. :-)

Alison Bryant said...

One more: Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. No, not the grocery store!

Dave said...

Okay, here's a video for all of you writer types (or people who use fonts much). This probably isn't the best spot to post this, and I probably should have just emailed you this link, but I really thought others would get a kick out of it as well. Click me