Friday, July 25, 2008

Poem-Off: And the winner is...


We have a winner of the first Poem-Off. And that winner is... (trumpet music) David Bryant! Of course, he wrote the epic poem about the bear. Great job! For your efforts, David, you get this picture of a crown (the British monarchy is borrowing it from you for a while) and a batch of brownies.

I will say that he put a lot of effort in this. The story cracks me up, and I'm glad he wrote it. So, if you ever have drunk bear problems, you know now to call on Hasselhoff. Hmmm...maybe he should be the emcee of our next challenge...

Do you want to know who wrote each one? Here's the list:
Poem 1: Travis W. Inman
Poem 2: Alison
Poem 3: Travis W. Inman
Poem 4: Alison
Poem 5: David Bryant

And I would like to again say thanks to Travis for throwing the gauntlet. I think he knew exactly what he was doing and knew we'd all have fun with it. I really enjoyed his poems, too.

Thanks to you who voted...hope you had a good time.

6 comments:

Travis said...

Well,
At least my poem that had a precise style and meter received one vote, thanks to my beautiful wife! I enjoyed the contest, and I was hoping (I was assuming it was Dave's submission) that Dave would be recognized for his unrecognized talent. It just goes to show that people enjoy aesthetics rather than substance. (Not implying your message wasn't legitimate, Dave.) People prefer entertainment over struggle--and who can blame them? But I can't believe that people actually voted for that absurd poem about the magician and the wizard. It was nothing but silly, mindless ramblings! None the less, I am flattered that my elephant poem was appreciated! Thank you all for your kind considerations, and may we meet in battle soon, where we will engage our enemies until there are none left to conquer. (At which point we turn on ourselves!)

Now we must press Alison to explain the virtue of her work.

Alison Bryant said...

Your style and meter entry didn't go unappreciated. It was quite good, I thought.

The elephant poem...I've been thinking that you might consider turning that into a children's book.

Dave said...

By the way , I didn't have a message....I just wrote what came out over a three hour period the night this thing was due. The whole "moral of the story" was meant to be as absurd as the whole poem.

I knew the poem was going to be long since it was telling a story. The problem was, I started in the middle, then wrote until the end, and then wrote the beginning. The length (and number of words I had to use that rhyme with beer) is the impressive part about it. Now if Daniel and I had written this together like we had planned, it probably would have been hilarious and better thought out.

Anonymous said...

Good work by everyone that participated! Congratulations to the winner! (Of course, you are all winners!)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to each poet and to the winner! I look forward to more Poem-Offs.

Anonymous said...

congrats to all of you as each was an enjoyable read!