Monday, March 17, 2008

Listing

I was challenged today to write an unusual type of poem: a list. The challenge was to take any type of list--"to do," places you'd like to visit, ranking of the "Police Academy" movies--whatever you'd like, and craft it into a poem. Trying something different was fun. Here's my stab at it:

Grocery List

Milk

Eggs

Bananas

Cocoa

Kabob ingredients

Stretching arm for the lady who cannot reach the top shelf

Cereal

Speed for my racecar cart (must beat my best time)

Bread

Sugar snap peas (almost finished)

Patience for the checkout line

Smiles for the sunny toddler, the checkout line ambassador (who made it my best time)



Care to play? Post yours in the comments.

8 comments:

Dave said...

It's nice to see you doing some more poetry here. Plus, it's nice to see we're having kabobs sometime. Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

All I can think of while reading your poem is Larry and Mr. Luntz:

"Kung Pow"

"Chicken!"

"Sweet and sour"

"Chicken!"

etc.

Christi said...

LOL at Dave and Dan. I have pondered this several times this week and I have a hard time doing poetry using the normal "Roses are Red" variety and now you want me to make poetry out of a list?!?!

Creativity
Lists
Constantly flowing
Always growing
Present for DH
Layout for Kat
Card for Dear Friend
Alter that mat
So much to do
So little time
Snuggle the little one
Make up this rhyme.

Anonymous said...

Christi's poem is excellent, but since my brain is fried, I cannot rhyme (fried and rhyme were kinda close though!)

construction
new roof
phone lines cut
alarm wiring
footsteps overhead
wireless network
too many decisions
gggrrrr

Anonymous said...

That is a poem challenge. Nice work by all of you!

For some not so nice work...maybe a little out of the challenge context:

prep for the tax man
proposals for the boss man
clean house for the family man
read time management book for me. man!

Travis said...

I don't get it
So I won't try.
Instead I'll go
and eat some pie.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Deep.

Alison Bryant said...

I'm mightily impressed with all of your handiwork. Now, don't you feel like your literary horizons are broadened?

...Now I need to find some other odd poetry form to unleash on you...