Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A spot of poetry

I've been reluctant to create a new post, mostly because I've loved pulling up the blog and seeing David's cozy picture of our den (sigh) at the top of the page. I love his photography. You can see some more of in tucked in the archives of this site. If you go there, you might also want to read his latest blog entry. It's very touching. Okay, plug is over. --But the race is on: the Christmastime flavor poll has heated up, with pumpkin spice and eggnog neck and neck. Poor tabasco.

Let's have a little poetry. Before I inflict my latest scribbles on you, though, I'd like to pay tribute to one of my favorite wordsmiths. ...A giant of a man immortalized in the classic movie, "The Princess Bride." Yes, I'm talking about Fezzik, the great rhymer. Let's listen in...

Inigo Montoya: That Vizzini, he can *fuss*.
Fezzik: Fuss, fuss... I think he like to scream at *us*.
Inigo Montoya: Probably he means no *harm*.
Fezzik: He's really very short on *charm*.
Inigo Montoya: You have a great gift for rhyme.
Fezzik: Yes, yes, some of the time.
Vizzini: Enough of that.
Inigo Montoya: Fezzik, are there rocks ahead?
Fezzik: If there are, we all be dead.
Vizzini: No more rhymes now, I mean it.
Fezzik: Anybody want a peanut?

Genius. I'd hate to go up against Fezzik in a Rhyme-Off. Do any of you have the gift for rhyme? Anyway, that movie always brings a grin to my face, and I'd thought you'd like a smile, too.

Okay, (big, sudden transition)...here's some other stuff I wrote tonight:

Eyes search, looking into inky blankness
Peering for Something
--sensing nothing.
Only consuming chill and cavernous echoes provide company.

Yet in time the day comes and gently washes away the opaqueness,
Revealing it all - much closer than life - it startles,
Filling the horizon and sky
reclining regally on a throne of ancient rock,
yet also
seeming to
Lean in over all below--watching, and
Watching over.
It displays the sifting of snow like powdery hair that was
Always pale with wisdom, soft hairs without number.

Gossamer crown of cloud in place, it

Whispers
(to those who take notice)
that it will be unmoved from this throne,
Even as darkness returns for a moment.

15 comments:

Christi said...

Oh. Wow. Alison. That poem is gorgeous! You have such a gift... smiles!

Travis said...

Guadalupe or Sierra Blanca?

Alison Bryant said...

Ah ha-- we have a taker! Close, but no cigar. The Sandias, based on the trip this last week. Not my favorite mountain range, but it inspired for the moment.

Christi said...

Alison, do you mind if I take a detour on your blog comments? I need to know something and this seems like the perfect group to ask... If you don't want it here, you can trash it by using that little icon down in the lower left hand corner (just in case you didn't know that...and I won't mind!)

Kat has a book about hippos and their belly buttons so we tend to spend a lot of time in our family looking at everyone's belly buttons, including Junior the cat's which then we noticed...Junior doesn't have a belly button. So now I need to know...why don't animals (besides obviously hippos) have belly buttons???
smiles,
christi

Anonymous said...

This sounds plausible when I read it so here goes (and I have not checked the references):

Virtually all mammals have umbilical cords and hence navels, which are simply scars left at the site where the umbilical cord was attached to the body. The difference between human navels and animal navels is the appearance. Cats navels are basically an elongated scar located just astern of the rib cage. It's quite understandable that they are often overlooked since it is hidden by hair. In dogs they appear as small scars along the stomach, rather than indented belly buttons. These
scars usually fade away after a few years, but you can still see them in puppies

Information was found on the following sites:

"BBCi - Science Shack"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/scienceshack/articles/questions/q_ou74.shtml

"The Life Museum"
http://www.fiocruz.br/emvida/porque_resp5_jogos_e.html

"The Straight Dope"
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_001a.html

"MadSci Network"
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug98/902945879.Zo.r.html

"Reeko's Mad Scientist lab"
http://www.spartechsoftware.com/reeko/qanda.htm

Anonymous said...

interesting stuff, Dan.

Speaking of puppies, let me tell you something about ours. Ours loves those rawhide bones. While at the store tonight, we thought it would be hilarious to buy the dog one of those huge $5 rawhide bones whose knots on the end are as big as her head. She thinks that this is the greatest thing every invented and can barely get her mouth around it. It's pretty funny to watch a 30 pound dog carry around a 5 pound bone. I'm not sure she can make it through doorways with it. ;)

Christi said...

hmmm, interesting! thanks Dan!

Dave, have you taken photos?!? She sounds too cute...
smiles...

Alison Bryant said...

Here you go, Christi.

Daisy 1

Daisy 2

Alison Bryant said...

If you're not tired of us showing off our dog by now, here are even cuter and funnier pictures.

Daisy 3

Daisy 4

Christi said...

LOL! I love them all, but #3 is precious...too cute!

Alison Bryant said...

That's my favorite, too. ...And, she's still going to town on that thing as I speak (or write, I guess).

Anonymous said...

Ok, Daisy is just adorable. Simply precious. I love, LOVE those pics!

And Christi - "Bee bo". ;)

Christi said...

Kara, I am guessing that you all have that book? It's my favorite of hers! We lost our original and had to buy another... I love S. Boynton's books!

Santa was having fun reading some new ones yesterday...
smiles!

Anonymous said...

Sandra Boynton is the greatest author of all time!

Anonymous said...

Yes.

Joel